with your meal.
Asparagus Frittata Recipe:
• Prep Time: 15 Minutes
• Cook Time: 20 Minutes
• Servings: Serves 4
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter.
• ½ cup sliced shallots.
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1-pound thing spear asparagus with the tough ends removed, and cut into diagonal spears 1-inch in lengths.
• 6 large eggs.
• ¾ cup ricotta cheese (cottage chees can be used as an substitute).
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives.
• ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon.
• 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
• Place the butter into a 10-inch frying pan. The pan will need to be able to be placed in the oven.
• Adjust the heat to medium.
• Add in the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally. The shallots will turn clear in about three minutes.
• Add the asparagus to the pan with the shallots and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
• Beat the eggs and ricotta chees together mixing them thoroughly.
• Add the chives and tarragon to the egg and ricotta chees mixture, and mix thoroughly once again.
• Add the mixture to the frying pan with the shallots and asparagus.
• Allow the contents to continue cooking on medium heat for about four to five minutes. You want the egg to be firm on the bottom but remain somewhat running on the top.
• Sprinkle the Gruyere cheese over the eggs and place into the oven until the cheese melts down and becomes browned.
• Remove the pan from the oven.
• Remove the frittata from the pan by running a spatula around the edges to loosen it, then sliding the spatula underneath the frittata. Lifting one side gently, slide the frittata unto a plate.
• Cut the frittata into either wedges or squares.
• Plate the dish
• Garnish the plate
Other variations of this dish include:
• Frittata with Asparagus, Tomato, and Fontina.
• Baked Asparagus and Yellow Pepper Frittata.
• The frying pan handle usually will stay rather cool while on the stovetop. Just remember that the entire pan will be heating up in the oven.
• While dish is a great meat-free dish, for some vegetarians and vegans the eggs make the dish not a good choice.
• For meat lovers adding Canadian bacon to the dish is a great way to satisfy the carving for meat with the dish.
• A mixture of Parmesan, and provolone cheeses can be used in place of the Swiss cheese.
• If you do not wish to use the oven the frittata can be folded over like an omelet after the chees is applied.
• Another variation would be to flip the Frittata in the frying pan, place the cheese on top, sprinkle just enough water into the pan to make it steam up, place a top on the pan until the chees is melted.
• For those that like it spicy add a few dashes Tabasco sauce to the dish. Tabasco sauce and other hot sauces should be used to taste some like it hotter than others.